Vietnamese Summer Rolls. Called ‘gỏi cuốn’ in Vietnamese, which means “rolled salad,” are refreshing, zesty and packed with vegetables, and easy to make at home. An ideal light dinner for hot summer nights.
Ingredients for summer rolls:
- 5lb shrimp
- 1 avocado
- 1 mango
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 bunch mint
- 1 bunch rau ram
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 packet vermicelli noodles
- Salt & pepper to taste
Ingredients for Sriracha mayo dip:
- 1 clove finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Boil the shrimp in salted water on medium heat for 3-4 minutes until they are pink.
- Pour boiling water over the vermicelli noodles in a bowl and let them soak in the water for 5 minutes until they are soft. Then rinse in cold water to stop them from getting mushy.
- Thinly slice the avocado and mango.
- Prepare a tray of water. Dip a sheet of rice paper in the water to soften for rolling.
- Place the rice paper sheet onto a flat surface and begin assembling your summer rolls: position two pieces of shrimp in the middle of the sheet, layer with avocado, mango, lettuce and fresh herbs then top with vermicelli noodles.
- Here comes the fun bit: the rolling. First, fold two sides in to prevent the fillings from spilling. Then, grab the bottom bit of the rice paper and fold it over, remember to tuck everything that is getting loose in as you go, make it as tight as possible.
- Stir all the Sriracha mayo ingredients in a small bowl to combine, season with salt.
- Serve the rolls and the dip with a cold beer immediately.