Remember that time you offered to host a dinner party for all your friends? Well, if you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having forgotten and are now stuck with nothing to make, let us help you out. Chef Jad Youssef of SoHo’s favourite Lebanese canteen, Maison Libanaise, has an easy-to-make, quick-to-impress marinade that wows every time. A staple in Lebanese cuisine, this allspice recipe is designed for chicken but works just the same with any choice of protein or vegetables. Go on, your friends are waiting…
- 100g garlic
- 10g thyme
- 60g tomato paste
- 250ml water
- 500ml vegetable oil
- 15g kosher salt
- 5g black pepper
- 15g allspice powder
- 20ml apple cider vinegar
- Blend garlic, thyme and tomato paste till smooth.
- Add water slowly and continue until ingredients have blended.
- Slowly start to add the vegetable oil while mixing to ensure the oil and water do not separate.
- Continue blending and add the kosher salt, black pepper and allspice.
- Next, add the apple cider vinegar. You can use a little more or a little less, depending on personal taste.
- Once all ingredients have been thoroughly combined, cover your choice of protein and allow to marinate overnight.
It will keep for 10 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
Now that you have knocked it out of the park with your dinner party, why not come through to meet the man behind the marinade? Chef Jad will be cooking up a feast at our next Lebanese Wine Feast, a guided journey through the nuanced flavours and heritage of Lebanese wines. Also joining the evening is one of the country’s most notable winemakers, Elie Maamari of Château Ksara, to take you through the pairings. See here for reservations.