90g Jalapeño chilli
1pc. Garlic clove, finely grated
1pc. Lime, juiced and strained
1pc. White onion
50g Coriander, washed clean with the bottom root removed
*Kosher salt and white sugar to taste
- Using a blowtorch or the broiler in your oven, lightly char the outside of the tomatillos and chillies. Once cooked, set the tomatillos aside and put the chillies in a bowl and cover.
- Peel the skin off the onion and cut into 2cm rings. Char the onion and place in a bowl and cover.
- Once the ingredients are cooled, peel the dark skin off the chillies, leaving the fruit whole.
- Transfer the tomatillos, chillies, half of the coriander, and a quarter of the onions into a blender or food processor. Blend until the sauce is uniform but still slightly chunky.
- Season with salt and sugar to taste.
- Note: Tomatillos and lime are both sour, so you will need about equal parts of salt and sugar to season the sauce, around 1 tbsp of each.
- Finely mince the remaining grilled onions and thinly slice the leftover coriander, including the stems. Mix the two together.
- Once the salsa verde is seasoned to your desired taste, put the salsa into a serving bowl, topped with your onion-coriander mixture.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!